The letter of application you send with your CV is sometimes called a covering letter. It is usually the first direct contact between a candidate and an employer, so make sure it is well-written and presented. It should normally contain 3 or 4 paragraphs.
Here is a list of points you should include:
• Say what you would like to apply for
• Say where you found out about the job
• Say why you would like the job
• Say why you are qualified to do the job. Include both objective (education, work experience) and subjective (what you think about yourself) information.
• Say you can provide more information if necessary
• Say when you would be available for interview
• Address your covering letter to a specific person.
• Customize your covering letter to the position you are applying to.
• State the elements of your background that are relevant to the position.
• Provide any information specifically requested
• Market yourself.
• Keep the tone and content professional.
• Be clear, concise, and focused.
Listen to an expert discussing covering letters and then decide if the following statements are true or false.
A formal letter.
• If you do not know the person’s name start with Dear Sir/ Madam and finish with Yours faithfully.
• If you know the person’s surname Dear Mr/Ms/Mrs López and finish with Yours sincerely.
• Put your address in the top right-hand corner with the date underneath.
• Put the name and address of the person you are writing to on the left.
• Don’t use contractions.
• Write your full name under your signature.
• Write I look forward to hearing from you if you would like a reply.
Some of the most frequently used expressions you may need when writing a letter are:
- I saw your advertisement in ….
- I have seen / read your advertisement in ….
- I am writing about the advert in ….
- I would like to apply for the vacancy advertised in …
- Please consider my application for the post of … advertised in …
- As you can see from my curriculum, …
- I studied…
- I have been working as a … for ….
- I like … (travelling, working with people, using computers, …)
- Please find enclosed CV and recent photograph.
- I hope you will grant me an interview.
- I hope you consider me for an interview.
- I look forward to an interview.
- I would be available for an interview at any time.
- I can supply you with the name of 3 references.
- Please contact me if you need any further details.
- I look forward to hearing from you soon.
This is the cover letter Lola sent CEOLS with her CV.
Avenida de la Plata 47
+34 958 245220
+34 649 587403
October 20, 2012
Ms. Serena Walkers
Cornwall European Online Language School
955 Kimberley Park Road
Dear Ms. Walkers,
Please accept the attached resume as application for the position of homestay sponsor at CEOLS, whose advertisement I saw in Careers Abroad Webpage.
At present, I am working as an assistant to the conference manager at Hotel Saray, in Granada. I am responsible for providing administrative support, answering enquiries, taking bookings, and arranging the catering. Although I am very happy here there are no possibilities of promotion at the moment and besides I really want to. Previously I worked as a social and sports officer for Castila Spanish School in Marbella. I was in charge of escorting groups of foreign students, arranging schedules, planning social events, organising sports activities and managing the budget. I started in this position after completing my tourism studies at Granada University.
I excelled in my studies, receiving a special mention at the end of my degree. In my current job I have had the opportunity to develop many professional relationships and learn first-hand with one of the leading conference managers. I have enjoyed organizing activities and events here and the problems that may have arisen have taught me to stay motivated and become determined. I have demonstrated excellent organizational and motivational skills.
I can speak Spanish, which is my mother tongue, and English and I have a working knowledge of French. I am very good with computers and I have a driving license. I am well-organised, highly motivated and have excellent communication skills. In addition I am reliable, flexible and quick to learn. I am confident that my positive attitude would be a great asset to your company. I am available for an interview at a mutually convenient time.
Thank you for your time and consideration. I look forward to hearing from you.
Lola Mañas Álvarez
|Other skills (languages, computers, driving license..).||1. Please accept…|
|When you would be available for an interview.||2. …whose advertisment…|
|Subjective information: why you think you are qualified to do the job.||3. At present…|
|Where you found out about the job.||4. I can speak…|
|Objective information: education, work experience…||5. I am well-organised…|
|Reason why you are writing.||6. I am available|
Write a covering letter to apply for a job at Cetursa-Sierra Nevada. Make it as complete as you can and include address and signature. (150 words)
Cetursa Sierra Nevada is looking for self-motivated individuals to join our team. We have two vacancies in the administration area. Candidates must have a positive attitude, good communication skills and be team players. All applicants must have a good level of English and computer skills. Send your CV and a covering letter to Manuel Jiménez, Cetursa Sierra Nevada, Plaza Pradollano s/n, Monachil, Granada.