So as to, in order to, so that, in order that.
Purpose clauses are used to state the purpose of the action in the independent clause. The most common type of purpose clause is a to-infinitive clause.
- Pauline travelled to Michigan to visit her family.
However, in order to and so as to are often used in formal speaking and writing.
- Human Resources called two of the job applicants in order to obtain extra information about their qualifications
- Human Resources called two of the job applicants so as to obtain extra information about their qualifications
A purpose clause can also be introduced by so that or in order that. These finite purpose clauses usually contain a modal verb.
- I left work earlier so that I could attend Sandra’s graduation
- I got up early in order that I wouldn’t be late
So that implies that the cause was deliberately done by someone in order to get a specific result.
Check the following website in order to get more information on the use of purpose clauses.
Para saber más
Imagen de Juergen Kurlvink en Flickr bajo
Go to the following link and have a look at the one day trips.
Once you have decided which excursion you would like to go on, fill in the following form enquiring about it. Write 125-150 words. Make sure you use vocabulary you have learned throughout the lesson, as well as an example of purpose clause. Check your punctuation following the online guide you have previously read. Make sure you use the format below for your writing. Enquiry details
State / ZIP:
|Your Comments or Questions please: ______________________________________________________________________